Saturday, June 20, 2015

Saying Goodbye to Grandchildren

The end of an era is upon me, and I feel sad. Happy, but sad. Happy for the rich memories accumulated in the last year and a half as Chuck and I have housed missionary family. What a treat, and what a treasure to have children who love and serve the Lord around the world!

But with that comes the painful separation times. But with that also comes the wonderful "Welcome Back" times. 

How much we've packed into this past year . . . 

Grandkid Circus with Grandma
Backyard fun
Picnics
Dress up
Tea parties
Box creations
Beach reunion
Museum trips
Drawing together
Games
Hide & Seek
Pumpkin carving
Home schooling
Christmas decorating
Ministry
Yard sale lemonade stands
Laughter
Tears
Pillow fights
Cousin joy
Travels

And funny sayings from the mouth of the grandkids. Gabe alone has provided me with close to 130 unique quips! Here are a few . . .

Gabriel and Daddy were shopping in Walmart when an old lady came up and started oohing and aahing over Gabe. Then she turned her attention to Matt and struck up a conversation. She said her goodbyes then walked away.

Gabe looked up at Daddy: "Hey, I was still talking to her!

~~

Gabe loves to make up stories. The other day, I asked him: "Now Gabe, is this a true story?" "No," he replied. "It's a lie story.

~~


On the way to church yesterday, Gabe sat in the backseat holding an open testament, going on at a great rate. "For the strength of the power of the Lord, in the banana, of the discipleness of the Lord. Acts 1:8a, and the lion ate his face, and in the love and thankfulness of the Lord. And I will demand you to my father's mother, and ankle bites. The End. Can I take this book inside?" 

~~


While helping me trim the yard, Gabe (3) said, "I'm a strong man, Grandma. And I'm a patient man. And sometimes, I'm a rude man." 

Well, that's just a few of the things Gabe has said over the past year and a half. I sure will miss all his cute antics, but I'm so glad I took the time to write down the stuff that comes out of his mouth.

Life is full, and I'm so blessed to be a grandmommy! Even when it means saying goodbye. I'll always treasure the fun times we've shared and pull out all those cute sayings now and again to encourage my heart and bring a smile and a chuckle. 

Perhaps you'd like to join in! If so, my kid quip book, Out of the Mouth of Gabe, would make a wonderful gift for the mom or dad in your life. And for you! Check it out at the following location:


 




No comments:

A Grandchild's Lavish Love

  I sat in the church pew with a shredded heart. The week had been tough on multiple fronts, emotion running high, mostly over the injustic...